A Cabinet of SPICES
Our testimonies are the way we live what we believe. Quakers believe that God wants us to live as good people. Quakers try to do this in many ways, but the six most important ones are described by some people as the SPICES. After each testimony are queries which are questions that we use to help us think about how we can improve.
Quakers believe that if we are always trying to get better things, we can forget to be good people. Sometimes keeping a lot of fancy things, clothes, and toys can get in the way of doing our work. Sometimes we can begin to think our things are more important than people.
- Is our stuff more important than our friends and family?
- Do we do things just because they look cool?
- What are fun things to do that don’t cost anything at all?
Quakers believe that war and violence do not solve disagreements between anybody. These things only make people suffer. Quakers try to settle all their arguments with out using weapons or words to hurt others. Quakers believe that world peace begins with each of us.
- Do we listen to all sides when there is a disagreement?
- What should we do when we are mad at someone?
- What can we do to make our world more peaceful?
Integrity means being truthful and trying always to do a good job. It means saying what we mean and meaning what we say. Quakers believe that God wants us to be honorable in all that we do and say.
- Do we always try to be honest in every situation?
- Do we try to give our best effort on everything we do?
- Do we do just enough or as much as we can to do a good job?
Quakers believe that it is very important to be a good neighbor. This means being helpful to people around us. This could be the people we live with or near, our schoolmates and teachers, and people at our Meetings or churches. It could be doing chores or it could just mean visiting someone who is lonely. Having fun together is a great way to build community too!
- What can we do to be good neighbors?
- How can we be helpful and take good care of each other?
- What can we do to have fun and get to know each other better?
Quakers believe there is that of God in everyone. Everyone is created equal. This means everyone has the same human rights and should be treated fairly. It also means we should treat people the way we want to be treated.
- What can we do to be fair to other kids we meet?
- What can we do when we see people being treated unkindly?
- Do we try to share the things we have?
To live with simplicity and integrity, we need to do a good job taking care of the things we own and use. This means taking good care of the earth. Quakers believe in trying to leave the world a better place after we have been here.
- Do we help with cleaning chores at home and at school?
- Do we take good care of our own clothes and toys?
- What can we do to avoid being wasteful?
What questions can you think of?